Wednesday, February 10, 2010
For mature audiences only. You may not want your children to be exposed to this list, it may give them nightmares. Why watch horror films when food is spooky enough?
I reblog this list to pique your interest in the post "30 Scary Food Facts" at the Forensic Scientist Blog. In that post, each of the 30 facts is expanded upon.
1. An average person’s yearly fast food intake will contain 12 pubic hairs.
2. Most fast food chains dip their French fries in sugar to give them that deliciously golden brown hue after frying.
3. The Strawberry flavor Contains 50 Different Chemicals.
4. Grilled chicken sandwiches and salads on fast food menus, might contain beef.
5. Hamburgers are made in huge factories.
6. Propylene Glycerol, used for antifreeze, keeps your salad crispy.
7. You'd have to walk for seven hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fry and Big Mac.
8. The highest price coffee in the world comes from civet droppings
9. About one-third of bottled water contained synthetic organic chemicals, bacteria, and arsenic.
10. Pink-grapefruit juice drinks may contain bugs.
11. Worcestershire sauce is made from dissolved fish.
12. The phosphoric acid found in cola is so acidic that it can dissolve a nail in 4 days.
13. Water is reusable.
14. Jelly Beans keep their shine with Shellac.
15. The FDA allows bugs and rodent hair in peanut butter
16. Sugar derived from pure sugar cane goes through a purification process using bone char
17. Natural vanilla can be moderately addictive
18. Many mass produced ice creams have seaweed in them.
19. Peanuts can be used for a component to make Dynamite.
20. About 4 years ago, the FDA allowed the use of bacteriophages to fight microbes that are found on lunch meat, sausages, and hot dogs.
21. Over 90% of the salmon that is sold to us in stores is farm-raised and can contain as many as 16 more contaminants than wild salmon.
22. The waste produced by one chicken in its lifetime can supply enough electricity to run a 100 watt bulb for five hours.
23. The fungus called truffles can cost $800 to $1,500 per pound.
24. The largest item on any menu in the world is the roast camel.
25. The toxic puffer fish delicacy called Fugu kills about 300 people per year.
26. In ancient China and certain parts of India, the meat from a mouse was considered a great delicacy.
27. Casu Marzu is a cheese made from sheep’s milk that has cheese flies purposely added.
28. Cheese Products Contain Less than 51 percent Cheese.
29. When Swiss cheese ferments, the bacterial chemistry creates a gas.
30. Some yogurts contain beef or pork gelatin.